Cashman Sets Soft Deadline for Damon

johnny-damonA lot of rumors have surrounded Johnny Damon recently. You can thank crazed (but actually quite smart) agent Scott Boras for that. It seems Brian Cashman has had enough and is setting a soft deadline of re-signing Damon in “about two weeks.”

I like the move by Cashman. It says the Yanks want to re-sign Damon soon, but if necessary, can delay because they understand how valuable Damon’s bat is to their lineup.

No matter how bad you think his arm is, if Damon is re-signed, there is no question he is re-inserted back into the No. 2 spot in the order. With the addition of Curtis Granderson, the Yankees would have the option of making Damon a part-time DH by putting Melky Cabrera in left field. But it’s too early to tell at this point.

This article is also featured in lenNY’s Yankees.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Cashman Sets Soft Deadline for Damon

1. nyyank55 says:

As much as I love Damon, I can't stomach Boras. If I were the Yankees I would give him a strong deadline. Take it or leave it. There is no team out there that will give him the money or years he is looking for. His greatest value is to the Yankees. The best chance at another ring is with the Yankees. Boras is only looking out for his pocket. Johnny should look at what A-Rod did and cut his own deal. Otherwise, bring back Matsui. Less years and less money.

2. Rob Abruzzese says:

A hard deadline will not work with Boras. If Damon isn't getting the offers that he likes he's just going to wait. He's shown year after year that he's more than willing to wait. I don't even think that this soft deadline is going to work. It's certainly worth a shot and I'm happy they did it, but I don't know about this one.

3. Matt Imbrogno says:

~Two weeks is a near-perfect time table. It gives them time to negotiate w/Damon, but it also allows them to make sure Matsui will still take a one year deal. Negotiations w/Matsui are very key to the negotiations with Damon, as a signing of Matsui would basically spell the end of the Damon-to-DH idea.

4. Brandon says:

5. Matt Imbrogno says:

<blockquote cite="comment-261">

Brandon: I am interested in seeing who the Yankees first option after Matsui and Damon is….Cashman says he wants to get younger and more athletic but reports say the third choice is Mike Cameron….thoughts?

Well, Cameron isn't a DH option. He's a LF/CF option. I'm not sure who their third+ choices for DH would be. My choices for DH after Matsui/Damon would be Johnson, Thome, Delgado, trade, Cust, Vlad, Dye.

6. Brandon says:

I'm really not into Nick Johnson….I;d rather go with one year of Thome or Dye at DH then get someone next year OR of course Damon