Is Nick Johnson Returning to the Bronx a Possibility?

George King had the first report of a return to the Bronx for Nick Johnson yesterday afternoonToday, King said Johnson and the Yankees are continuing talks about him being the next DH.

nick-johnsonOnce a Yankee, always a Yankee.

The Yankees traded away Johnson for Javier Vazquez back in 2003. Vazquez was a bust for the Yanks, and Johnson was the injury-prone first baseman the Expos expected.

As you can see, he’s still an on-base machine.

I think he makes a good candidate to DH for the Yankees in 2010 because then they don’t have to spend Boras-money on Johnny Damon. Also, the Yankees have some bats internally that I’m sure they are interested in testing out at DH soon (Montero, cough).

The move intrigues me because I like securing a quality bat while it’s still early in the winter. I am strongly advocating the Yankees need to start adding to their depleted pitching staff.

This article is also featured on lenNY’s Yankees.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Is Nick Johnson Returning to the Bronx a Possibility?

1. Matt Imbrogno says:

What depleted pitching staff? As of right now, the starting rotation is full and the only pitchers they've lost are Kennedy and Bruney, whose spots/roles on the team were unclear anyway.

2. Lenny Neslin says:

I think Yankees fans are thinking too positively about the Yankees rotation.

Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain combine for only 71 starts in their careers. I'd be fine with having one in the rotation, but not both. It's too risky. They need another steady starter or a veteran for the back end. And the bullpen needs Hughes or Chamberlain dearly. I'd vote Chamberlain out of the rotation first, but that's just me.

Besides Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte, there are no vets in the bullpen either. The rest are all young Yankees that haven't notched a single consistent season.

3. nyyank55 says:

How stupid a move is this? You let a known commodity like Matsui walk away and now you are entertaining the thought of bringing in Johnson who will probably ask for around the same money? What happened to the rotating DH? Which, by the way I think is a ridiculous thought because you will never find bench players to fill in that will be as productive. I think Girardi did a fantastic job in the way he used the DH spot last year.
    If there is anyone out there that can even be considered to replace Matsui or Damon's production, and be a full time DH, it would be Jim Thome. End of story.

4. Matt Imbrogno says:

<blockquote cite="comment-370">

Lenny Neslin: I think Yankees fans are thinking too positively about the Yankees rotation.Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain combine for only 71 starts in their careers. I’d be fine with having one in the rotation, but not both. It’s too risky. They need another steady starter or a veteran for the back end. And the bullpen needs Hughes or Chamberlain dearly. I’d vote Chamberlain out of the rotation first, but that’s just me.Besides Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte, there are no vets in the bullpen either. The rest are all young Yankees that haven’t notched a single consistent season.

No vets in the bullpen isn't a bad thing as long as they can perform. We're all way overplaying the role of a set up man. Robertson and Marte is a more-than-adequate set-up combination and I think just about every other team in baseball would be happy with that.

I want a pitcher for depth, too, but the only ones I'd like to see signed (Sheets/J-Dukes) should not be guaranteed starts. Neither one of them pitched (Dukes had 3 MiL games) last year and I think that's way more risky than either Chamberlain–who made 31 starts last year–or Hughes, who hasn't had the injury troubles of Sheets or J-Dukes. Granted, Sheets' upside is better than Hughes', so if he were signed, I'd like to see Hughes start in SWB as the 6th starter. I pick him to go to SWB instead of Chamberlain because Chamberlain is more prepared to start this year as he just finished a complete season in the rotation.

You know why Hughes and Joba have so few starts? Because they're both under 25–well, that and the Yankees made a panic move last year with Wang that unnecessarily forced Hughes out of the rotation. It's time for both of them to make steps towards realizing their potential and have full seasons as starters.

5. Matt Imbrogno says:

<blockquote cite="comment-371">

nyyank55: How stupid a move is this?You let a known commodity like Matsui walk away and now you are entertaining the thought of bringing in Johnson who will probably ask for around the same money?What happened to the rotating DH?Which, by the way I think is a ridiculous thoughtbecause you will never find bench players to fill in that will be as productive.I think Girardi did a fantastic job in the way he used the DH spot last year.
    If there is anyone out there that can even be considered to replace Matsui or Damon’s production, and be a full time DH, it would be Jim Thome.End of story.

Yes, there are people who can replicate the production of Matsui and Damon; the Yankees already got one in Curtis Granderson. Jim Thome or Carlos Delgado or Nick Johnson combined with Granderson (and a full season of Alex Rodriguez) could easily replace the production lost by Damon, if he indeed goes.

The decision on Matsui was likely not made because of financial reasons. The Yankees clearly don't think his body will hold up over another season and are making a move that's smart to make. It's always better to let a guy go a year early than a year late. As for the money, anyway, I don't think Johnson will be offered that much money. I think $4-$5.5MM is the highest he'll get in AAV. It is, however, not a guarantee that he'd return. He could probably get a job playing first in some other city, as he does have a good reputation (that's backed up by the numbers) on defense.

6. Rob Abruzzese says:

I don't think Thome is the end of story, he's going to be 40-years-old and he's an option out there, but to me he's kind of a last resort. Brian Cashman has a plan and Matsui was a part of that plan, but not at this point. Matsui had an offer and he took it, Cashman isn't going to ditch his plan because Matsui needs an answer now.

They're sticking to the plan, now that Damon seems to think he's still 30-years-old and Matsui is off the market you have to move on. NJ is a very legit option here. He's an OBP machine and my guess is that he's going to be able to hit for about the same amount of power as JD did. The speed isn't there, but infront of Teixeira and Arod that's not that big a deal. I would like him to play left field, but I feel like Melky and Gardner can handle that. It's also fair to think that NJ could stay healthy if he isn't playing in the field as much. He seems like a very attractive option.