Game 5: CC Flirts with the No-No; Yankees blank Rays 10-0

If you were a Yankee fan watching this game chances are you didn’t move for a good two-three innings while CC Sabathia put together a great rebound performance after his shaky first start vs Boston. Actually great is probably an understatement since he went 7 2/3 innings before allowing a single to Kelly Shoppach  (who is now forever hated by Yankee fans). Sabathia only struck out five, but was absolutely dominant the whole time he was in the game. It was a nice payback performance by the big Yankee lefty after Tampa’s young promising lefty, David Price, dominated the Yankees last night. Oh and the Yankee hitting was pretty good too.

After a scoreless first three innings the Yankees opened the scoring after a Robinson Cano two run homerun, Mark Teixeira was on first after a walk. The Yankees scored two more runs in the fifth after a Derek Jeter RBI single and Mark Teixeira’s first hit of the season, an RBI double. The Yankees refused to let down and scored four more runs in t he 8th a result of a Curtis Granderson single, Brett Gardner groundout, and Francisco Cervelli double. Immediately after Sabathia gave up his first hit Joe Girardi took him out, his pitch count was up to 111, and put in David Robertson who got Gabe Kapler to foul out. In the top of the ninth the Yankees scored two more unneeded insurance runs after a Cano single and Gardner bases loaded walk. David Robertson came back out in the bottom of the ninth and got Dioner Navarro to groundout to Ramiro Pena to end the game.

Final Score: Yankees 10 Rays 0

Game MVP: CC Sabathia

Notes:

• 7 2/3 IP is the longest Sabathia has ever taken a no-hit bid
  • After starting the season 0-17 Mark Teixeira was 3-3 in his final 3 ABs of the game
  • Cano, Granderson, and Gardner each had 2 hits and a total of 6 RBI between them.
  • Cervelli: 1-3 with 2 RBI in his first start of the season
  • Sabathia: 7 2/3 IP 1 Hit 0 ER 2 BB 5 K
  • Davis: 6 IP 7 hits 4 ER 4 BB 3 K
  • W: Sabathia L: Davis
  • It has now been 3919 days since Yankees last No-Hitter (7/18/1999 David Cone Perfect Game)

Around the AL East:

– Toronto @ Baltimore- 7:05

-Boston @ Kansas City- 7:10

Follow me on twitter: SCrociata

This entry was posted in Editorial, Game Summary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Game 5: CC Flirts with the No-No; Yankees blank Rays 10-0

1. Mike S. says:

I'm a big fan of Montero, and hope he and Romine make it, but I will say this:

The more I see of Cervelli, the more impressed I am at his calling a ballgame. He won't ever have the bat that Montero and Romine are projected to have, but he does the little things. Laid down a bunt. Got a 2-run double.

But I loved how he and CC worked together today. In his time with the Yanks in 2009, Cervelli showed a lot. He added to that today.

• Eric Communiello says:

Couldn't agree with you more Mike. He does anything and everything the Yankees ask of him. I'd love to see him major time after Posada retires, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

2. Jason from The Heart says:

No question that Cervelli deserves considerable credit for C.C.'s success today. The Big Guy hit spots and blew it past the rays today, but Cervelli really seems to have a good feel for the game and what's needed in certain moments. Montero's bat will probably eventually propel him into the lineup, but I am more than happy to have Cervelli at least backing up for now. Big hit today from Cervelli, too.

I really thought C.C. was going to get the no-hitter, especially with all the great defense he got. A-Rod's diving stop was outstanding, Teixeira provided his own great stop, and Cano's picking up C.C. on the comebacker to start the 8th was huge. Too bad, but it was the pitching performance of the year in the majors thus far.

Gotta love The Big Guy. HORSE.

3. Ramondo says:

CC would of never had the "No NO" because Joe said he was done no matter what.

• Stephen Crociata says:

That is baseball politics he said that because CC didn't wind up getting the no-hitter. If he would've kept it going he would've never been able to take him out. Remember he coaches in NY, he would've been fired if he actually did that lol.

4. Mike S. says:

I don't know if you know this story. So I will tell it. I forget the year, but it may be the 2008 Japanese World Series. Last game, I believe Game 5. Winning team winning 4 games to 1. Guy has a perfect game through 8 and WAS PULLED FOR THE CLOSER. The closer finished 1-2-3. Combined perfecto. When asked, the manager said, a)that's his job, to close, and b) my job is to win the game and the series. He didn't care about the perfecto, he went by the book. Can you imagine that being done here?

• Well Girardi practically sprinted to the mound after Shoppach got the hit. So I'm sure the thought to pull him with the no-hitter crossed his mind.