Opening Night Scorecard

Here’s something that I was planning on doing over at my old blog and I thought I’d give it a try over here.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve always been a big fan of scorecards.  Whenever I get a chance to go to a ball game I always try to get my hands on a score book and keep score myself.  With the start of the 2010 season I thought I’d mix things up and post some of the scorecards I’ve kept throughout the year.

I thought I’d keep score by hand, but I managed to figure out a way to keep it on my laptop and this is what I came up with.

Game #1 - Yankees Lineup

Game #1 - Red Sox LineupWhat do you think?  I know it’s not as quick and easy as a prototypical box score, but if there’s enough interest in continuing stuff like this I’d love to crank a couple of these out every week.  So let me know what you think.

This entry was posted in Yankees News. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Opening Night Scorecard

1. Stephen Crociata says:

Very very cool Eric and welcome to the BBD family!

2. Chris Barrows says:

Agreed. I believe everyone will really enjoy this.

3. Steve P says:

Very nice. I learned how to keep score when I was 18, after already being a fan for 10 years. It's fun and helps pass the time occasionally. What did you use on your computer, a template, software? And is it available anywhere online? I wouldn't mind doing that on my laptop as I do other work at the same time.

4. Eric Communiello says:

Thanks guys.

@Steve P: I found a couple of different scorecards on http://www.Baseball-Almanac.com . I liked a few things from each and combined them into my own version. It's currently a Microsoft Word file, but I may transfer it over to Excel so that adding additional innings and stuff is much easier. There's currently no easy way to do the lines for tracking a base runner around the diamond. All I do is copy and paste line segments where necessary and then create a grey diamond when a runner scores. It is a pretty tedious process to manage when you're trying to watch a game, but I think as the season progresses I'll find a more efficient way to do things. If you'd like to get your hands on a copy of the template then send me an email at [email protected] .

If anyone has any criticism/suggestions on how to improve the scorecard then please feel free to let me know, I'd appreciate it.

5. smurfy says:

Hi, Chris. This was just what I was looking for after the game. Great way to reconstruct events this morning, too, good record. Boy, Jorge's heart displays as a 2.300 OPS ytd!

6. smurfy says:

oops, Eric. Two alternative suggestions: denote the pitcher in the cell for the first batter he faces, to make it easier to see who faced each particular batter; or shrink the blank space in each cell, row, column, so that I can zoom up one more click: it's just barely legible to these old eyes of mine.