Yet another big performance from yet another big starter.
The Yankees beat the Orioles 4-1 with ease (probably easier than last night).
AJ Burnett brought his A-game yet again, going 7-plus innings of one run ball. His one earned run was thanks to his own error in the top of the third. Garrett Atkins led off with a walk, and Burnett walked the next batter Rhyne Hughes. Caesar Izturis laid down a bunt, but Burnett threw away the relay, allowing Atkins to score. AJ proceeded to strike out the side.
After that, it was all Yankees. In the bottom of the third, Francisco Cervelli drove a ball to center that Adam Jones made a diving attempt for, but failed. The ball rolled to the wall and Cervelli and his oversized helmet stood on third with a triple. Ramiro Peña drove him in on a groundout to short. In the fifth, after a leadoff walk to Brett Gardner and a single by Cervelli, Peña laid down a bunt that was thrown away by Orioles pitcher Brian Matusz, allowing Gardner to score. After two outs, Mark Teixeira walked, and Alex Rodriguez was walked with the bases loaded, giving the Yanks a 3-1 lead. They scored again on a sac fly by Peña in the eighth, but that was all. Joba Chamberlain recorded his second save in his many nights in place of the sore Mariano Rivera.
Final Score: Yankees 4, Orioles 1.
Game MVP(s): AJ Burnett/Francisco Cervelli
- Cervelli: 3-3, 3B 2 R
- Cano: 2-4 (avg at .376)
- Peña: 0-2, 2 RBI
- 1-4 Hitters (Jeter, Swisher, Teixeira, Rodriguez): 1-14, 3 BB (Jeter double)
- Burnett: 7.1 IP 5 H 1 R 0 ER 8 K 2 BB (W) (107 pitches) It’s good to see AJ keeping his pitch count so low thus far.
- Chamberlain: 1 IP 1 H 2 K (S) Still have to say that closer does not seem to fit Joba.
- Matusz: 6 IP 6 H 3 R 1 ER 2 K 3 BB (L)
- *Greg Golson played the eighth and ninth in center field in his first game as a Yankee
- 4/5 Yankee Starters (excluding Vazquez) are 14-1 with an ERA around 2.60
Yankees Record: 18-8 (9-2 home)
Around the AL East:
– Boston: 5, Los Angeles: 1
– Toronto: 8, Cleveland: 5
– Tampa Bay at Seattle, 0-0, Top 3