Vazquez Start vs BoSox will be Skipped; Next Start 5/10 vs Tigers

VazquezWell the expected is now official as Joe Girardi said before Monday nights game vs Baltimore that Javier Vazquez will not pitch in the upcoming weekend series at Fenway Park. Girardi’s exact words were “We’ll give him a couple days to catch his breath” and apparently Javy asked the Yankee skipper to not change the schedule but Joe would have no part of it. It is hard to doubt a manager who just won a World Series but I can’t help thinking this actually might be the wrong move.

I have defended Javy over and over and I am no longer making excuses for him, but is pitching in Detroit really better than pitching in Fenway? Granted as much as the Red Sox have been struggling things are different during a Yankees/Red Sox series and the pressure is heightened, but lets be honest these are just not the Red Sox that used to put fear into pitchers. This team was just swept by Baltimore! They, much like Javy, are lacking confidence so that gives us two more arguments. One is if Javy was to struggle against the struggling Sox would the Yankees know 100% that this is a lost season? The other argument is as a Yankee fan are you afraid if the Red Sox smack Javy they will suddenly gain a ton of confidence and go on a roll? I am torn on the issue of Javy versus the BoSox but I am terrified of the idea of Javy versus the Tigers.

The Tigers are off to a solid start, 16-10 entering Monday night, but their recent success is not my biggest concern. The number one and two batters in the Tigers lineup are Austin Jackson and Johnny Damon, respectively, who as we all know have close ties to the Yankees. Both of these players would want nothing more than to trample the Yankees and prove a point to Brian Cashman and the Steinbrenners. AJax and Damon are already off to good starts and I am not confident that Javy can get out either guy even if they didn’t have extra incentives. I am far from thinking Javy would’ve shut down Boston, but I am even further from thinking he will be able to shut down the Tigers. For now all we can do is wait and see Girardi gets paid the big bucks for a reason, and I am only here to offer my opinion. So What do you think?

Follow Me on Twitter: SCrociata

This entry was posted in Editorial, Yankees News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Vazquez Start vs BoSox will be Skipped; Next Start 5/10 vs Tigers

1. af says:

A verse is a rhyme.
    You want the word "versus", Latin for "against".

• Stephen Crociata says:

thank you lol!

• Bronx Knight says:

OK, off the subject of baseball — my kids (8 and 11) use "verse" as a verb all the time — "hey, I'm going to verse you in a game of chess." I'm pretty sure it's a product of video games — all these one-on-one combat or sports games start with a voice-over saying, e.g., "Green Dragon versus Silver Serpent." The kids hear "versus" and, by back-formation, think it's a verb, "to verse." Voila, their agile little minds produce, "I'm going to verse you …"

To the editor: feel free to delete this here post if it's too annoying ;-)

2. Mike S. says:

I'm heading to the Stadium on 5/15 to see the Yanks play the Twins, which means with Javy going on 5/10…oh crap.

Guess I'll have to buy earplugs.

3. Eric Communiello says:

Does anyone know why he's pitching on the 10th instead of the 11th? Unless I'm just counting wrong, his next turn in the rotation would be the 11th.

• Stephen Crociata says:

Apparently they want to screw with Pettitte too lol…I am GUESSING it is because who is scheduled to pitch for DET Mon/Tues but I didn't check to see who will possibly go in that series.

• Bronx Knight says:

Pettite was scheduled for an extra day off but they are moving him up by a day because of skipping Javy.

• Eric Communiello says:

Ah, okay. Makes sense that they're gonna give him an extra day next week then. Thanks BKnight.

4. theboogiedown says:

Move him to face Detroit because it's another baseball game. I don't care who just swept Boston, when they play NY it's a playoff-type scenario/environment. In addition, JV has played more than a significant role in over 50% of the team's losses thus far this season, 50%! Your a manager, you have to minimize losses if it is within your control. Can't stop injuries and can't wait around to find out that JV's feeling are getting/will get hurt by the move.