Hey BBD readers, if you haven’t noticed I have been gone since Sunday, I was off getting engaged, so I haven’t paid any attention whatsoever to the Bombers. The crew here has done a great job keeping you updated on the daily ins-and-outs and what-have-yous, but for my own sake, and the sake of anyone else who might have missed the last couple of days, I figured I’d run down some of the recent happenings.
- First of all, we had our Free Ticket Giveaway officially end Thursday/Friday night. We had close to 300 people enter the contest which I think is pretty good for my first attempt at a contest like that. Give me a couple of days and I promise I’ll officially announce the winner by this Friday.
- Curtis Granderson landed himself on the DL and could miss a month or more with a strained groin. Mark Melancon was called up in his place which is odd considering that the Yankees are short an outfielder now and are carrying 13 pitchers with the least used bullpen in all of baseball.
- It’s also odd since Jorge Posada left Monday’s game with a calf strain. It doesn’t look like he’s DL bound, but as long as they’re calling people up it would make sense to call catcher Chad Moeller up.
- Although, according to Donnie Collins of the Scranton Times-Tribune, the Yankees are actually expected to make a roster move soon, but it won’t be for Moeller. Instead outfielder Greg Golson is expected to get the call.
- When reading about Golson getting the call up I came across another interesting bit, infielder Kevin Russo is actually filling in for him at center field. He’s never played there before, but I really like to hear that potential bench parts give themselves more options like this. The Yankees don’t have a lot of outfield depth in the minors and if Russo can pick up a new position he could have an easier path to the Bronx.
- Mariano Rivera also sat last night as Joba Chamberlain picked up his first save of the season. We were not aware of this until after the game, but apparently he was sitting last night thanks to some tightness on his left side.
- Of course there is also Javier Vazquez getting his next start skipped and Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira received their gold gloves. So don’t miss those stories.
I think that’s all of it. Was there anything else I missed?