Let The Criticism Begin: Hughes Gets Batted Around After Skipped Start

The “Phil Hughes Rules” have claimed their first start, which would have been last Friday. Those same rules have also claimed their first loss.

The Seattle Mariners are among the worst teams in the Majors in terms of offense, and with Phil Hughes on the mound, with a 10-1 record, the game would appear to be a good match up for the Yankees.

That is of course, not mentioning the 10 days in between tonight and Hughes’s last start, due to the innings limit that forced him to miss his last scheduled start on Friday.

Hughes pitched very poorly, he allowed at least one run in every inning except for the first, and was pulled after five and two thirds innings pitched

The Mariners ripped a home run, four doubles, a total of 10 hits, and six earned runs off him, that coming from a terrible offensive team, against arguably the best pitcher for the Yankees this year.

If you ask me that sounds like he either had a really bad night, or something was hindering his effectiveness on the mound. MY9 Broadcaster, Al Leiter thought the latter of the two:

“By limiting his innings and skipping his last start, I think it has affected his effectiveness tonight.”

Either way, he pitched very poorly, and hopefully this will serve as a lesson to the Yankees to not skip any more starts, but I’m sure they will just say that he had a bad outing. Yeah, a bad outing due to 10 days off!

Nick Swisher accounted for two of the Yankee runs, with two solo shots off Cliff Lee, but the rest of the Yankee offense was unable to pick it up, and the Mariners beat the Bombers 7-4, behind a complete game by Cliff Lee.

An embarrassing performance by New York, and one that could be the first of many to come, if Hughes is unable to pitch like he did before the “rules” came into effect.

A game that the Yankees, seemingly, should have won turned out to be an easy win for the Mariners, whose offensive woes ended against a pathetic Phil Hughes.

This entry was posted in Game Summary and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Let The Criticism Begin: Hughes Gets Batted Around After Skipped Start

1. Mike S. says:

I hear people all the time talking about old-time pitchers and the amount of innings they put in.

Look this up. No rotator cuff surgery back then. No Dr. Andrews down in Birmingham, AL.

Drysdale done at 33. Stottlemyre done at 32. Hunter done at 33. Robin Roberts never the same after 1955 or 1956 at age 3-30 or so.

Go ahead. Look it up.

2. Mike S. says:

The question is this: Hughes needed to be great, not mediocre or just good, to beat Lee;

I always condition myself to 65 losses a year. Years of 103-59 (2009) or 114-48 (1998) don’t come around often.

So I prepare myself for 97-65. Keeps me sane, ha ha.

So you sacrifice a start and a game now in order that Phil is more fresh in October. I don’t want another Prior or Wood here.

We don’t know about October yet. But say Hughes goes 7 IP, 1R, 4 H and wins an important playoff game.

Will you look back on tonight as an important night in which a regular season game was sacrificed for long=term (and we would hope postseason benefit)?

If such is the case, I will gladly make that trade.

• Lucas Weick says:

I don't want to see another Kerry Wood or Mark Prior either, but I most certainly don't want to see another Joba Chamberlain!

The innings limit on Joba failed and he has been reduced to a shell of the pitcher that he once was, nothing more than an average at best relief pitcher.

Also, you have to make the postseason to see if there are any benefits to limiting his innings, and if Hughes keeps getting lit up like last night, their will be no postseason.

If the Yankees have Burnett, Hughes, and an always unpredictable Vazquez all hitting the skids at the same time, then prepare your self for a 75-87 season.

• Mike S. says:

75-87? Really? They are 47-29 now (losing as I write this). Do you really think they will tank and go 28-58 rom here on out?

We will see what happens, but I think 75-87 is a bit off. Way off. Or did you mean 87-75? That would be 40-46, and I still don’t see that.

Hopefully Aceves and Mitre come back soon. That would help.

A slowdown could mean 46-40. Which would be 93 wins. Maybe not enough for the playoffs, we will see. But from where they are right now, and with some people hopefully getting healthy, they should still win at least 90, even if there are struggles.

• Lucas Weick says:

Strictly speaking of what's going on recently, the Yankees rotation has not been very good at all, borderline terrible. Everyone but CC has had a bad outing. The bullpen is in shambles, and if things don't pick up on both ends the Yankees will soon see their lead in the East slip away, and eventually their postseason hopes.

Yes, 75-87 is an exageration, but what does their record really matter if they don't make the postseason??? The Yankees are all about getting to the playoffs, and eventually the World Series, anything less is a failure and an embarassment for a 200+ million dollar team.

• Mike S. says:

…and 43-43 would give 90. Personally, looking at the rest of the schedule, I can’t see less than 92 or 93, but you don’t know. They have 8 against KC. 4 against Cleveland. 3 against Seattle in August, and at that time the M’s probably won’t have Lee. 6 against Baltimore. That is 21 games that they should go 14-7 or 15-6 against.

So say they go 14-7 there. Say they lose tonight to drop to 47-30. 61-37 with 64 other games. A 32-32 split in those 64 means 93. Those other 64 probably will go something more in the likes of 38-26, I would think. Meaning a 99 win season.

As I wrote before, a 100 win wild card team? It could happen this year. 95 and 3rd place? Could happen.

But with Thames, Mitre and Aceves returning, I see 95-100. Also looking forward to seeing what help Cashman may provide at the deadline.

We’ll see.

• Mike S. says:

I never liked the 3-division, wild card setup. If the Yanks go 96-66 and come in third, I'd be disappointed, but wouldn't call it a failure and embarrassment. I'd blame the setup.

As for the bullpen, remember that Aceves and Mitre are on the DL. Aceves is a very valuable member there. Don't discount his value.

It sounds like panic! The best record in baseball and this panic? Other teams would love to have the problems you cite.

It'll be a battle with Boston and Tampa. On that, we agree.

The 3-division with a wild card setup did help a 87 win 2000 Yankees team and also the 2006 Cardinals.

But I still don't like it. You can have an extremely weak divisional winner with 83 wins shafting a good 95 win team.

I never like to see mediocrity rewarded.

We'll see what happens. No panic here…