The Yankees got their first taste of the Toronto Blue Jays yesterday and lost 6-1.
Here are some notes:
- The Blue Jays have been better than expected this season and Brett Cecil and Jose Bautista showed them why. Cecil went 8 strong innings and Bautista homered twice.
- We’ve seen bad AJ Burnett a lot lately. In his last 6 starts he is 2-3 with a 5.65 ERA.
- Pitching coach Dave Eiland has taken a leave of absence. There are no details except that it not medical related and he’ll be back when he’s back.
- Yankees minor league third baseman Brandon Laird was named Eastern League Player of the Month. In May he hit .339 with a .591 SLG and a .374 OBP.
- The Royals claimed reliever Kanekoa Texeira off of waivers from the Mariners. He has to stay in the majors all season or he goes back to the Yankees.
With the bullpen problems the Yankees have been having this season it would have been nice to see them get him back. There still is a chance, but it’s the Royals and they really have nothing to lose by keeping him.