I have to admit that a radio appearance and the debut of Stephen Strasburg took up most of my attention last night, but that didn’t stop the Yankees from beating up on the Orioles. They won 12-7 behind a grand slam from Curtis Granderson and a hard fought performance by Phil Hughes.
Here are some notes:
- Hughes improved to 8-1 with a 2.71 ERA on the season. An all-star game appearance might be in his future.
- Nick Swisher upped his average to .311 with 3 hits and 5 RBI’s last night. An all-star game could be in his future too.
- Brett Gardner was lifted in the 8th inning yesterday with a sore thumb, the same one he broke last year.
- Jorge Posada started catching drills yesterday, but he’s still at least a week away from returning behind the plate.
- Yankees 1st round pick Cito Culver was a big Yankee fan growing up and that could help them sign him quickly.
- RHP Hector Noesi, who is pitching in Double-A Trenton, was the Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week last week with a 2-0 record, 14 K’s, and a 1.38 ERA.
I’m doing more draft work for Pinstripes Plus today, but I’ll try to have another update or two before the game starts tonight.