The Yankees beat the Diamondbacks 9-3 last night behind a strong seven inning performance by Andy Pettitte and a big home run by Alex Rodriguez. The score was a lot closer until the 8th inning when the Yankees broke it open with six runs in the 8th.
Here are some notes:
- The home run by A-Rod snapped a streak of 49 at bats without a homer.
- Since he saw the Dr. about his groin, A-Rod is 5-for-25 (.200) with a .686 OPS.
- Both A-Rod and Jorge Posada played in the field in back-to-back games yesterday and were fine. Not sure if either or both will be in the field today.
- Outfielder Colin Curtis made his MLB debut pinch hitting for Pettitte in the 8th and he smacked a 2-run double.
- Despite walking the first batter he saw, Joba Chamberlain was crisp yesterday hitting 98 mph and now dropping below 95.
- Dellin Betances last night: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.
- RHP Hector Noesi and C Austine Romine, both of Double-A Trenton, were named to the 2010 Futures Games that takes place during the All-Star weekend.
About the Future Games. Each team can have up to two players maximum and players can’t participate three times. Jesus Montero has already played twice so he was ineligible. Those are two good choices as any as both are having strong seasons.