Andy Pettitte didn’t have his best stuff last night, but still managed to pitch seven innings while giving up only two earned runs. It seems like he does that every night out these days. The Yankees still lost though thanks to Kyle Kendrick who allowed just one run over seven innings and Joba Chamberlain who feel apart in the 9th when he was charged with three earned runs. The final score was 7-1.
Here are some notes:
- Entering last night’s game Joba had a 1.35 ERA over seven appearances in June.
- The Yankees might want to consider making David Robertson their 8th inning man. In his last 13 appearances he has a 1.29 ERA, 14 K’s, and 7 BB’s over 14 innings.
- AJ Burnett had a ball deflect off his foot in his last start and it might cause him to miss at least his scheduled bullpen appearance. He doesn’t expect to miss his next start though.
- Sweeny Murti confirms that the Yankees have officially signed 1st round pick Cito Culver.
- Joel Sherman of the Post asked 12 “experts from around the game” who they would rather have, Phil Hughes or Mike Pelfrey. All 12 picked Hughes.
Sherman goes on to say that the Mets future rotation might be better off than the Yankees because of Jon Niese. He could be right, but it’s hard to consider Niese a solid rotation piece just yet. Whom would you rather have going forward, Hughes or Pelfrey & Neise? Being that the Yankees are in the AL, I’m going with Hughes.