The Yankees have played back-to-back games against the Mariners and have not faced one reliever. A night after Cliff Lee went the distance and beat the Yankees, Felix Hernandez got a complete game shutout and won 7-0. Javier Vazquez didn’t pitch especially well or bad, but he is on hook for the loss.
Here are some notes:
- Brett Gardner has been out for the past couple of days with a forearm issue, but he is in the lineup today.
- RHP Dustin Moseley is expected to be added to the roster today. Chad Gaudin and Chan Ho Park are the most likely to get DFA’d.
- Marcus Thames has begun playing in rehab games and should be back soon. Either Chad Huffman or Colin Curtis will be sent down.
- Sergio Mitre and Alfredo Aceves have thrown off a mound this week. Mitre could get into a rehab game soon.
- How is it that Mariano Rivera is so damn good? Watch this video. Trust me, you’ll like it.
- The Yankees outfielders haven’t liked the condition of the outfield grass since the Yankees held a boxing match at the stadium about a month ago.
I thought that the Yankees were going to have issues with the outfield this season. I go to a fair amount of Brooklyn Cyclones games and they regularly hold concerts on that field and it shows. I hoped that the Yankees are hiring better grounds crew guys, but their talents can’t make up for putting a few thousand pounds of metal on a field like that. This news is especially bad because the Yankees are already planning two Jay-Z/Eminem concerts there in September and their stage will be bigger than the boxing ring was.