The Yankees beat the Oakland Athletics 3-1 last night behind a strong performance by starter Javier Vazquez who improved his record to 7-7 and finally got his ERA under 5 to 4.81. The offense came from a Curtis Granderson triple and a Mark Teixeira solo-shot.
Here are some notes:
- The Yankees have improved to 20 games over .500. They have the best record in baseball at 51-31.
- Since May 12 Vazquez is 6-4 with a 3.05 ERA in 11 appearances.
- Alfredo Aceves suffered another setback yesterday while throwing a bullpen session. He’s headed for tests, but this is a huge red flag that he may be out for the rest of the season.
- In what is not officially related news, the Yankees have moved minor leaguer RHP Romulo Sanchez to the bullpen. He may get a call up soon.
- The Red Sox placed Clay Buchholz on the DL and Andy Pettitte will replace him, not CC Sabathia, on the All-Star roster.
- Remember the “Get Off My Mound” t-shirts? Dallas Braden doesn’t like them. I guess they break some unwritten rule or something.
Be prepared to stay up past midnight this week. The Yankees are going again at 10:00 tonight with CC Sabathia on the bump and they will play one more in Oakland after that before going to Seattle. Their only non 10:00 game will be a 4:00 start against the M’s on Sunday. Some afternoon naps will be in order.