The Yankees had a slim lead for most of yesterday’s game and then with two-outs in the 8th inning CC Sabathia gave up the lead as the Mariners tied the game at two, but Alex Rodriguez hit a two-run homer to help the Yankees win 4-2.
Here are some notes:
- Sabathia is heating up. In his last 6 starts he has a 6-0 record with a 2.00 ERA and has not pitched less than 7 innings.
- RHP Dustin Moseley has been called up, LHP Boone Logan has been sent to Triple-A.
- The D-Backs fired their manager and GM and the Yankees scouting director Damon Oppenheimer is said to be getting “serious consideration” for the GM position.
- Joel Sherman of the NY Post agrees with me, the Yankees should call up catcher Jesus Montero. It’s time for the second coming.
- The Yankees open a 3 game series against the Blue Jays today. AJ Burnett (6-7, 5.25) is on the hill for the opener. It will be his first start since pitching coach Dave Eiland has come back.
- Burnett had a strong April, but he is 2-7 with a 7.71 ERA in his last 10 starts. That’s just awful over the course of a third of the season.
It’s July 2nd and the Yankees still have the best record in baseball and are on pace for a 100-win season. They also hold a 1.5 game lead over the second place Red Sox who just lost Dustin Pedroia. It seems like expectations are higher than ever in the Bronx this year, but the Yankees are doing just fine up until this point. It’s a long season and there are still a lot of games left to play.