The Yankees might have missed out on trading for Cliff Lee, but they had they didn’t miss playing against him yesterday as they beat the Mariners 6-1 behind a strong performance by Phil Hughes and a pair of homers of the bat of Mark Teixeira.
Here are some notes:
- Phil Hughes is now 11-2. That’s three starters with at least 11 wins, CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte being the others.
- Mark Teixeira now has reached base safely in 30 straight games.
- David Adams‘ injured ankle hurt the Cliff Lee deal, but it didn’t kill it. The deal was killed when the Yankees wouldn’t include Eduardo Nunez in his place.
- The Yankees are waiting to see if the A’s deal RHP Michael Wuertz. If they do, they’ll be interested.
- The Big Daddy, Cecil Fielder, will be at the Yankees Old Timers Game this season.
Phil Hughes has been struggling lately, relatively, so it is good to see him get back on track in his last start before the All-Star Game.
Also, we’ll try to get into it a little more in depth if we can, but I’m happy that the Lee deal fell through especially since it was Texas that ended up getting him. There is no chance they are going to resign him and Jesus Montero is too much to give up for a rental player, even one as good as Lee. It’s not like the Yankees have a big need in their rotation anyways. It would have been nice, but I don’t think any of us will be upset when we are watching Montero tear it up in the Bronx.