There were no updates yesterday because I was busy with a family member’s wedding. There is a silver lining to that, on my way home I stopped at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY and got plenty of great Yankees related pictures that I will post later today. If you have never been to the Hall of Fame, I highly recommend that you go as soon as you can.
Here are some notes from the weekend:
- Alex Rodriguez‘s calf has become a bigger problem than they initially though so he’s going to spend some time on the DL.
- It looks like the Yankees will platoon Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena at 3B with A-Rod out.
- In his place they have called up RHP Ivan Nova. Nova will start on Monday as the 6th pitcher in the rotation, but that could be just one time through the rotation.
- Plan on seeing Jonathan Albaladejo, Romulo Sanchez, and Juan Miranda in the Bronx when the rosters expand in September. Colin Curtis might also join them.
- CC Sabathia, who has an opt-out clause in his contract after next season, has pledged that he will not exercise it and that he plans on fulfilling his contract in its entirety.
- The Yankees have promoted 2 of their top pitching prospects, LHP Manny Banuelos and RHP Dellin Betances, to Double-A Trenton.
Banuelos and Betances weren’t expected to be promoted this year, but injuries and trades made it necessary. They are now part of a rotation with Andrew Brackman, Hector Noesi, and Adam Warren. That could be one of the best rotations in the minor leagues.
Thanks to Robinson Cano, A-Rod’s absence hasn’t killed the Yankees. Hopefully he stays hot and continues his MVP campaign.