Here are some bits for the day:
- Alex Rodriguez left Monday’s game with a stiff calf that an MRI revealed to be a low-grade strain in his left calf. He’s day-to-day.
- Andy Pettitte experienced another setback so he went in for an MRI that revealed that his injured groin wasn’t improving. The Yankees have shut him down for at least another week.
- Nick Swisher was removed from the game the other night with a “sharp pain” in his forearm. He is also day-to-day.
- Alfredo Aceves made another rehab appearance yesterday going 2.1 innings and felt no pain. He’ll have another rehab appearance before being recalled.
- Nick Johnson has experienced another setback as he experienced pain in his wrist during batting practice.
- Damaso Marte had a bullpen session this week. He’s on tract to be activated in September.
The Yankees are starting to feel the absence of Pettitte and it hurts. Remember though, he had injury concerns going into October last season with a shoulder problem and he dealt with that fine. Getting Aceves back will be huge and I don’t think anybody really thought Johnson is coming back so no loss there. Joe Girardi has to figure out a way to keep winning and get everyone past these minor injuries if the Yankees are going to make the playoffs and do well in October.