A.J. Burnett gave up a first inning run, struggled but got through the second, and then didn’t need a bullpen as he dominated the rest of the way. Still, it wasn’t enough as the Yankees were 2-hit by the 1st overall pick from the 2002 draft, Bryan Bullington and they lost 1-0.
Here are some notes:
- Burnett is now 3-3 with a 3.47 ERA in his last 8 starts.
- Lance Berkman is day-to-day after rolling his right ankle during the 5th inning while trying to stretch a single into a double.
- Andy Pettitte continued his rehab yesterday, he’s expected to play catch today and could play in a simulated game on Friday.
- Alfredo Aceves is expected to get one more rehab appearance tomorrow with Double-A Trenton. It’s likely off to the Bronx after that.
- Damaso Marte has finally begun to throw again yesterday. He’s not expected back until at least September though.
- Javier Vazquez, who has been dealing with a dead-arm, is starting tonight. The Yankees said that they haven’t considered skipping him, but have lessened his workload in between starts.
- The Yankees also announced that they agreed to terms with 10th round draft pick Ben Gamel.
The Yankees bullpen has been really good lately and it will automatically get even better when Aceves returns. My best guess is that it will be the end for Chad Gaudin when he gets called up. Dustin Moseley will probably stick around until Pettitte gets back.