The Yankees lost a tough one yesterday 3-2 to the Toronto Blue Jays as Ivan Nova made his first big league start. Nova wasn’t overpowering, but if it weren’t for a dominant 12 strikeout performance by Brandon Morrow the Yankees could have won this game.
Here are some notes:
- Nova ran into trouble early when he allowed a homer to Jose Bautista in the 3rd. He then raised some controversy in the 6th by throwing up and in on Bautista. Overall though he went 5.1 IP and allowed just 2 ER.
- Nova’s next start? There is no answer to that yet, but if Javier Vazquez keeps pitching poorly then Nova could get another shot.
- The rest of the rotation is just pushed back one day except CC Sabathia who will go on his normal rest on Saturday. This splits Vazquez and A.J. Burnett.
- Alfredo Aceves will make another rehab appearance today.
- Damaso Marte will throw a bullpen today, his second.
- Andy Pettitte will throw a bullpen on Friday.
- Talk of Robinson Cano winning a gold glove has started.
- The Yankees are going to have a dedication for George Steinbrenner on September 20th in Monument Park.
- RHP’s Hector Noesi and D.J. Mitchell have been promoted from Double-A to Triple-A.
Not a bad start for Nova. At this point I like him for the rotation over Dustin Moseley and probably Vazquez as well. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to at least skip Vazquez once or twice to have him rested before the playoffs.