Two things that have been going well for the Yankees lately, CC Sabathia and their bullpen, both struggled last night, but when your offense scores 12 runs those kind of things are forgiven.
Here are some notes:
- Sabathia went 7 innings, but allowed 5 runs and David Robertson and Joba Chamberlain only managed to get 1 batter out between them.
- Offensively the star was Eduardo Nunez who went 3-for-4 with a homer and 4 RBI’s.
- Marcus Thames continued his hot streak with a pair of home runs.
- Nick Swisher continues to shine against his former team, he is 4-for-9 with 2 homers and 5 RBI’s in this series.
- Robinson Cano and Jorge Posada also had multi-hit nights.
- Mark Teixeira injured his hand while diving for a ball the day before and tried, unsuccessfully, to play through it. He’s day-to-day and could play this afternoon.
- MLB is investigating Ivan Nova for possibly self administering a B-12 shot (the shot isn’t illegal, but if a doctor isn’t the one giving it to you it is). Naturally, he’s denying the charges.
Some injury updates:
- Andy Pettitte, down with a groin injury, will throw another bullpen today. He’s still not expected to go at 100 percent, but is expected to throw harder than he did the other day.
- Alex Rodriguez, calf injury, will begin taking batting practice this week.
- Lance Berkman, out with an ankle injury, has been taking infield practice and it seems he’ll be ready to go September 1st.
- Alfredo Aceves, back, has been rehabbing in the minors. They are being deliberate with him because this is essentially his spring training.
- Damaso Marte threw a bullpen recently, but has since been shutdown. It’s possible he won’t return this season.
Today is kind of a big day for the Yankees. The White Sox currently sit outside the playoffs looking in, but there is certainly a possibility that they could be a playoff opponent. It would be nice to see the Yankees take a series against them. Also, they really haven’t been playing well now for a decent stretch and they really have to focus on winning series.
It is also a big day because Nova is on the hill today. If he can establish himself as more than just a September call-up that could be really big for the Yankees who have struggled with their starting rotation.
Also, there is Pettitte. He can’t have any more setbacks.