Marcus Thames hit his 6th home run in as many games as the Yankees slugged their way past the Oakland A’s 11-5.
Here are some notes:
- Mark Teixeira returned to the lineup and hit a 3rd inning home run that put the Yankees ahead 4-3.
- Dustin Moseley started and did not have his best stuff. He lasted just 4.1 innings, allowed 4 runs and walked 4.
- Javier Vazquez came on in relief and pitched as good as he’s pitched all season. His fastball looked good often clocking in at 91 mph, right where he needs to be to be effective.
- Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher both went 3-for-4 driving in 3 runs. Cano homered.
- Trevor Cahill allowed 8 earned runs, a career high. So much for his Cy Young candidacy.
- The Rays beat the Blue Jays tonight so the teams remain tied for 1st place.
- The Red Sox had the night off and move to 7 games back.