The Yankees beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-3 in Camden Yards last night behind a pair of homers by Alex Rodriguez, including one in the top of the 9th, and a decent pitching performance from starter A.J. Burnett.
Here are some highlights:
- A-Rod got the scoring started in the 2nd with a solo shot and the Yankees didn’t score again until his 9th inning 3-run homer.
- Burnett was good, but not great. He tossed 7 innings and allowed 3 runs on 2 homers. He walked just 1 and struck out 5.
- Aside from the home runs, the Orioles were largely shutdown though.
- David Robertson and Mariano Rivera each pitched perfect innings.
- The Yankees offense picked up 10 hits, but still managed to leave 11 batters on base.
- In addition to A-Rod, Robinson Cano and Lance Berkman also had multi-hit nights.
- The Rays dropped their game to the Angels 4-3, dropping them to 2nd place.
This was a big win, but the Yankees really need it to start them on a roll. The Orioles have been hot lately, but they are still going to nearly lose 100 games. The Yankees need to treat them as such and at least take two of three, but preferably sweep the series.