Here are some highlights:
- This was the 4th walk-off win for the Yankees this year.
- Ivan Nova was great on the mound today making only one mistake, a 2-run home run allowed to Matt Wieters.
- Brad Bergesen held the Yankees to just 4 hits.
- The victory avoids the Yankees first home sweep by the Orioles since 1986.
- It also keeps them from their first 4-game losing streak of the season. They are the only team in the majors who haven’t had one.
- Derek Jeter was 5-for-36 (.139) during this home-stand.
- Jorge Posada didn’t pinch hit in a situation where he was direly needed because he has concussion symptoms after getting hit with a foul tip last night.
That win is actually a big one. The Yankees offense looked great coming into this series, but fell asleep against mediocre Orioles pitching. Winning the last game like that should give them back some momentum going into Texas this weekend.
Also, a big game from Nova is huge as it helps alleviate some of the pressure in the rotation. Nova could be a legitimate pitcher on this team and a good bullpen option in the playoffs over the likes of Dustin Moseley and Chad Gaudin.