Here are some highlights:
- The two biggest highlights were a pair of great defensive plays late in the game. The first was a great diving catch in center by Curtis Granderson to and the 9th inning. The second was a tremendous throw by Greg Golson from right field to double off Carl Crawford who was tagging up on a fly ball.
- The Yankees built a 6-0 lead off of homers from Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez by the top of the 5th inning.
- The Rays came back and took a 7-6 lead in the bottom of the 5th when Ivan Nova and Boone Logan combined to allow 7 runs on 6 hits and a walk.
- In the top of the 6th, the Yankees regained the lead off a RBI double off the bat of Cano.
- The game remained tied until Jorge Posada hit a pinch-hit moon-shot in the 10th inning.
- Derek Jeter, Granderson, A-Rod, and Cano had multi-hit games.
- This was Nova’s worst start so far, 4.2 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR. His ERA is up to 4.30.
- Mariano Rivera picked up his 30th save of the season.
It was a big win for the Yankees, but if they don’t follow it up with another win tomorrow, it’s really not that big a deal. They need another win tomorrow to stay in first place and to finally turn this losing slide around. The bullpen was heavily taxed in this game though so another big performance by the lineup is important.