The CC Sabathia vs. Felix Hernandez debate may be over last night as Sabathia dropped a big game to the Rays by allowing seven runs over just 5.1 innings. The Yankees eventually lost 10-3 at home last night.
Here are some highlights:
- Sabathia was doing well enough through 5 innings. At one point he struck out 3 batters in a row looking. It all fell apart in the 6th though as he allowed a single, double, K, single, single, walk, and a walk before was relieved by Joba Chamberlain.
- In the 7th Javier Vazquez did not help his chances at making the playoff roster. He allowed 2 runs on 0 hits thanks to a walk and then three consecutive hit by pitches.
- The Yankees scoring came from a Marcus Thames 2-run homer and a Nick Swisher RBI-single.
- Swisher went 2-for-3 with a walk. Robinson Cano and Greg Golson were the only other players with at least 2 hits.
- Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-2 with a pair of walks.
- Derek Jeter extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- David Price tossed 6 innings and allowed just 3 runs.
- The Yankees lead in the AL East is just 0.5 games and they have fallen behind the Minnesota Twins for 1st place in all of baseball.
That was a tough series and the Yankees came away from it with a split. Now they have nine games left, six against the Red Sox and three against the Blue Jays.