It wasn’t exactly the b-squad starting for the Yankees, but they did rest a few of their regulars as Javier Vazquez got bombed by the Blue Jays en route to a 8-4 loss the day after they clinched a playoff spot.
Here are some highlights:
- Vazquez got the start over Andy Pettitte who is being rested for the playoffs. Javy couldn’t even make it out of the 5th inning while giving up 7 runs on 10 hits and 3 homers.
- The bullpen went 3.2 innings and allowed no runs.
- Alex Rodriguez homered in the 6th inning. It is his 30th of the season.
- A-Rod has hit at least 30 homers with 100 RBI’s in 13 consecutive seasons and 14 seasons overall (the most in major league history).
- Brett Cecil beat the Yankees for the 4th time this year. He joins Roy Halladay as the only Blue Jays starter to beat them 4 times in a year.
- Derek Jeter, Nick Swisher, and Francisco Cervelli all had multi-hit games, Cervelli had 3 hits.
With Vazquez’s pathetic performance, you have to think that he might have thrown his last pitch as a Yankee. He won’t be offered arbitration this offseason and they won’t attempt to resign him. There are only three games left in the season and it’s hard to imagine him pitch in the playoffs.