The Yankees were about to sweep the Baltimore Orioles and had them right where they wanted them with Mariano Rivera on the mound, but the great closer blew the game when he gave up a game tying solo-shot to Luke Scott. Then David Robertson blew the game in 11th inning for a 4-3 loss.
Here are some highlights:
- The Yankees were held to 8 hits in 11 innings, all singles. Robinson Cano was the only player with a multi-hit game.
- The Yankees reached base 9 timse via the free pass.
- There were 12 runners left on base.
- Nick Swisher played in his second game in a row and went 0-for-5 with 3 strikeouts.
- Andy Pettitte returned and pitched very well. His line: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 0 HR.
- Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira had the night off, but both came in as pinch hitters.