The rain knocked A.J. Burnett out of the game and the Yankees B-squad bullpen let them down as they lost at home 7-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays to drop to just 1.5 games up in first place.
Here are some highlights:
- Because of the rain, Burnett pitched just 3 innings and allowed only 1 run and got credit for the loss.
- The Yankees were fortunate that the rain knocked Wade Davis out of the game after he held them hitless over 2.1 innings, but they couldn’t take advantage it though as they scored just 2 runs in 6.2 innings off the bullpen.
- Derek Jeter and Lance Berkman lead the offense with 2 hits apiece. Berkman hit his 1st homer as a Yankee.
- The Yankees came within 1-run of the lead twice, when it was 2-1 in the 5th and then when it was 3-2 in the 6th.
- David Robertson was unavailable last night because of back pains. MRI’s came back negative.
- Joe Girardi loves Chad Gaudin and Gaudin cost the Yankees yet again as he allowed back-to-back home runs to Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria in the 7th. The Yankees were trailing 3-2 at that point.
This is a game where the Yankees probably could have won, but Girardi went to the B-squad relievers in order to avoid burning out the big guys he’s going to have to lean on in the playoffs. It’s hard to watch these games, but it’s hard to argue with that tactic since it appears the Yankees will easily make the playoffs.
Their magic number to clinch a playoff spot is down to three. They can clinch as early as tomorrow against the Red Sox.