Under Buck Showalter the Orioles have become a different team and it showed this afternoon as the O’s beat the Yankees 4-3. A.J. Burnett wasn’t horrible, but wasn’t good enough as he allowed four runs over seven innings for the loss.
Here are some quick highlights:
- The Yankees had a guy with a .331 OBP leading off and a guy with a .395 OBP batting 9th, Derek Jeter and Brett Gardner respectively.
- Alex Rodriguez homered and drove in a pair of runs. That gives him 100 for the season, his 14th season with at least 100 RBI’s and 13th in a row.
- A-Rod is 3-for-6 with a homer and 3 RBI’s since returning from the DL.
- Nick Swisher started and went 0-for-3 with a walk.
- Colin Curtis was activated before the game. He pinch hit and struck out looking to end the game (the pitch was in the opposite batter’s box).
- Brian Matusz held the Yankees to just 3 runs on 5 hits.
- The Orioles’ bullpen held the Yankees hitless over 3 innings.