The Yankees beat the Blue Jays 6-1 in Toronto last night behind a strong performance from their ace CC Sabathia to clinch at least a wild-card spot in the American League.
Here are some highlights:
- The Yankees drove in all 6 runs without the benefit of a hit, 3 sac flies, a pair of ground out RBI’s, and a bases loaded walk.
- Derek Jeter and Brett Gardner were the only hitters with at least 2 hits.
- Sabathia’s line: 8.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, 1 HR. Literally his only mistake was the home run to Travis Snider in the 3rd.
- Mariano Rivera came in and got the final 2 outs.
- Before the game manager Joe Girardi participated in batting practice and drilled a homer on his final pitch.
- The Yankees remain a half game behind the Rays for 1st place in the AL East.
- If they don’t overcome the Rays, their likely playoff opponent will be the Minnesota Twins.
So the Yankees are now in the playoffs officially. They will still try for the division, but are going to set themselves up for the playoffs as well. That means Andy Pettitte doesn’t start tonight, Javier Vazquez will instead. Some of the regulars might get some rest as well.