Ivan Nova had a tough time at it in the Bronx tonight as the Red Sox lit him up for four runs which was more than enough for Jon Lester who shut the Yankees out over seven innings in an eventual 7-3 Yankee loss.
Here are some highlights:
- Nova pitched well as long as runners were not on base, but struggled mightily with men on allowing 3 runs in the 3rd and another in the 5th.
- With the Yankees down 4-0, Joe Girardi brought in his girlfriend Chad Gaudin who gave up back-to-back homers to J.D. Drew and Victor Martinez to put the sox up 6-0.
- Over the last 16 days Gaudin has pitched 7 times with an ERA of 9.82.
- The Yankees used 6 pitchers in this game, only 1, Joba Chamberlain, is a lock to make the postseason roster.
- Derek Jeter extended his hitting streak to 14 games.
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 28th homer of the season.
- Curtis Granderson hit his 23rd homer.
- Francisco Cervelli was the only other Yankee with a hit, he singled in the 6th to break up a no hitter.
- Austin Kearns played for the first time since last Sunday.
The Yankees are now 7-7 against the Red Sox on the season and are now 5.5 games ahead of them for the Wild-Card. People are panicking about the Sox knocking them out of the playoffs, but all the Yankees have to do is win one game against them and one against the Blue Jays and they are in. With seven games left, those are pretty good odds.