The Yankees were swept today by the Texas Rangers and now have lost six of their last seven games as Cliff Lee was brilliant tonight holding them to one run on two hits over eight innings. Dustin Moseley was impressive, but ultimately not good enough as he allowed four runs over 6.2 innings as the Yankees lost 4-1.
Here are some highlights:
- Probably the biggest positive to come out of this game was Jonathan Albaladejo who pitched 1.1 innings and didn’t allow a run. His ERA this season is down to 1.59.
- Other than that there wasn’t much as only Derek Jeter and Eduardo Nunez got hits, 1 each. Jeter also had 2 walks.
- The Yankees managed 3 walks off Lee. It’s the most walks he’s allowed since September 2009.
- The Rangers were aggressive on the bases, swiping 3 bags off of Jorge Posada. That could be a problem in the playoffs.
- Alex Rodriguez got the day off for normal rest.
- Nick Swisher was originally in the lineup, but was a late scratch because of his knee.
- Brett Gardner sat with pain in his wrist, he’ll have an MRI on it this week. He’s currently day-to-day.
This was a very tough loss for the Yankees because of the playoff implications. Luckily Tampa Bay lost today so they are still in 1st place, but that is their next opponent so if they don’t turn around their recent losing ways, they are at risk of falling into 2nd place. Things to keep in mind though, Chad Gaudin was a big reason for two of the loses and he isn’t likely to be on the playoff roster. And Phil Hughes and Andy Pettitte weren’t in the rotation this week. Hughes will be back Wednesday and Pettitte Sunday.