Last week’s matchup of CC Sabathia vs. David Price is the closest thing to Roger Clemens vs. Pedro Martinez there is today and it lived up to it’s billing as each pitcher gave their teams a shot to win the game and then some. Well, the pair go at it again tonight in a game that could end up deciding the fate of the AL East.
Here are some notes:
- David Robertson felt tightness in his back so the Yankees sent him in for an MRI which came back negative. He’s day-to-day and will probably sit out a few games this week.
- Ivan Nova might make the playoff roster, but Joe Girardi said it would be as a reliever. He’s essentially battling Sergio Mitre, Chad Gaudin, Javier Vazquez, and Dustin Moseley for the long relief role.
- Andrew Brackman, who was recalled, but is inactive, could become a free agent this offseason if the Yankees don’t pay him a $1 million bonus. They almost certainly will do that.
- The Yankees magic number is 3, which means they could clinch at least the Wild-Card as early as tomorrow. Mariano Rivera thinks they shouldn’t celebrate until they clinch the AL East though.
- Jon Heyman interviewed a baseball executive and an agent, he said it wasn’t Scott Boras, who think Carl Crawford could end up getting a 5+ year deal worth $126 million.
Robertson needing an MRI is bad news, but as long as he’s healthy and able to pitch to his full ability in October it really shouldn’t be a big deal.
I think we all could have guessed the Nova news and the Brackman news really isn’t news since the Yankees will definitely pay.
I think the Yankees should take a pass if they have to give Crawford anything close to that figure. Brett Gardner might not be as good as Crawford, but for the difference in what each player will make the Yankees can save that money and put it to better use elsewhere on the roster.
Finally, I think the Yankees should celebrate as soon as they clinch. Rivera might be an old hat at this playoff thing, but it’s not the same for players like Curtis Granderson and Lance Berkman. Give them a taste of the champagne and hope they get hungry for more.