The big series in the standings may be the Yankees vs. the Rays, but judging by the ticket prices on StubHub, the one the fans care about is Yankees vs. Red Sox and we have a good one tonight as Andy Pettitte goes up against Josh Beckett.
Here are some notes:
- The Yankees have begun making plans for the postseason and those include plans for Phil Hughes. They won’t reveal those plans though.
- Brian Cashman confirmed what I thought yesterday, Royce Ring can pitch himself on to the playoff roster.
- Andrew Brackman has been activated and Cashman told Joe Girardi to feel free to use him. That doesn’t necessarily mean he will pitch though.
- Girardi gave us another Damaso Marte update, he isn’t likely to make it back this season after all.
- Last night Javier Vazquez became the first Yankee to ever hit three batters in a row.
- David Robertson‘s back is apparently feeling better after suffering spasms the other day. He could be back today, but Girardi will likely try to avoid using him.
- Austin Kearns has been dealing with a sore right index finger. It’s feeling better, but not yet 100 percent and is why he didn’t play against David Price last night, who is a lefty.
That sucks to hear that Marte is not making a comeback after all. I have a feeling we’re going to get to see Ring pitch quite a bit over the next nine games.
I would like to see Brackman pitch, but I’m not holding my breath.
I’m starting to think that the Yankees could carry Ivan Nova and Ring on the playoff roster and not Vazquez.