There is not much to report on today thanks to the off-day yesterday. Obviously the Yankees start a three game series against the Orioles tonight. A.J. Burnett starts tonight, CC Sabathia goes tomorrow and Sunday is the triumphant return of Andy Pettitte. Also, don’t miss our pieces on Derek Jeter, everybody is overreacting about a play that spurred Jess to write an article on instant replay.
Here are some notes:
- The Yankees have announced details for the George Steinbrenner monument ceremony scheduled to take place September 20.
- Over the last two days we’ve heard that the Marlins are interested in Tony Pena for their manager and Double-A Trenton Thunder manager Tony Franklin is looking for a major league job. Now we get a rumor that the Blue Jays may be interested in third base coach Rob Thompson to be their manager.
- Speaking of the Thunder, they continue their playoff series tonight. They are tied at one game apiece with Altoona in a best of five series for the Eastern League title. Adam Warren starts tonight, then Manny Banuelos and Andrew Brackman are scheduled to go in games four and five if necessary.
- Adam Jones, the Orioles outfielder, is encouraging O’s fans to make it to the park this weekend. They are hoping to play spoiler in the AL East.
- Finally, Joel Sherman thinks the Yankees are going to go with Sabathia and Pettitte and then tag-team everybody else in the playoffs, keeping a short leash on starters and relying on the bullpen. I bet he’s right.
No injury updates for now on Brett Gardner or Nick Swisher. It’s possible one or both could be playing tonight, but somehow I doubt it. Gardner is supposed to be closer to rejoining the lineup. I’ll have an update on that later in the day so be sure to check back for that.