The Yankees dropped the series finale against the Orioles yesterday, but still were able to take two of three and win the series. Today they start a much bigger series against the Rays that could determine who wins the AL Eastern division.
Here are some notes:
- Nick Swisher came back on Saturday after missing some time with a sore knee. He is 2-for-10 since coming back.
- Robinson Cano picked up his 100th RBI of the year this weekend, along with Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira they are the first threesome of infielders to have at least 100 RBI’s in a single season.
- A.J. Burnett‘s black eye was a popular story this weekend, Brian Cashman didn’t seem to mind as he liked the way Burnett pitched with it. I wonder if any of the Yankees are fans of the movie Beerfest?
- By the way, there was no police involvement regarding Burnett’s eye.
- Orioles starter Jeremy Guthrie has hit 3 Yankees this season including in spring training and Joe Girardi is not a fan of that.
- Also, I’ve been forgetting to mention this, but OF Chad Huffman, who was designated for assignment last week, was claimed by the Cleveland Indians.
Losing Huffman stings, but only slightly. It doesn’t seem like the Yankees will have room for him in the outfield any time soon. At this point he didn’t have a lot of value on the trade market which explains why they didn’t get anything in return for him. The Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Padres earlier in the year.
Swisher and Brett Gardner seem like they’re ready to go for against the Rays, but the Yankees bullpen is a bit taxed as Boone Logan, Kerry Wood, Joba Chamberlain, David Robertson, and Mariano Rivera all pitched yesterday. Only Joba pitched in back-to-back days so most of the pen will be available tonight, but it’s not exactly like all hands on deck.
Check back throughout the day as we’ll have plenty more Yankees news and updates.