The Yankees go for a four game sweep of the Oakland Athletics tonight and their sixth win overall and have their best man on the job, CC Sabathia.
Here are some notes:
- Javier Vazquez is back in the rotation. Dustin Moseley is out.
- Andy Pettitte threw a bullpen yesterday and said he felt great. Up next is a simulated game this weekend and then at least one rehab start. He could be back as soon as a week and a half from now.
- Derek Jeter will remain at the top of the batting order.
- Alfredo Aceves is throwing another bullpen today. He could be activated any day now, but the Yankees would probably like to see him be a little more successful first.
- As expected, Lance Berkman was activated yesterday.
- Switch pitcher Pat Venditte was promoted to Double-A Trenton.
If you’ll notice, I was not among the many media outlets panicking about the Yankees rotation. Yes, it was bad. Awful actually, but Vazquez looks like he may have put his issues behind him and A.J. Burnett had a good outing last night. If those two can find some form of consistency and Pettitte comes back the Yankees rotation will be a strength again.
That’s not to say that their issues are behind them, but many people were coming just short of proclaiming the Yankees season dead. If you’ll remember, they dealt with rotation issues down the stretch last season and overcame that as the pitching was a strength in the playoffs.