The Yankees needed to win last nights game so they went with Phil Hughes, but Hughes was long out of the game by the time this one ended on a Juan Miranda walk-off walk in the bottom of the 10th inning as the Yankees beat the Red Sox 4-3 to lower their magic number to one.
Here are the highlights:
- Hughes came up big when the Yankees ndeeded him to. His line: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 0 HR.
- David Robertson came up huge in the 7th inning as he stranded both runners he inherited in a no out situation.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka was better though as he held the Yankees scoreless through 6 innings, fortunately for them he pitched 8 innings.
- In the 7th Mark Teixeira picked up just the 3rd Yankee hit of the game, setting up a go-ahead home run by Alex Rodriguez that made it 2-1.
- In the 9th Mariano Rivera blew his 5th save of the season as he was victimized by 4 stolen bases and a pair of RBI hits.
- The stolen bases showed that Rivera just doesn’t hold runners on and Jorge Posada has almost no arm at all. Both were guilty.
- Jonathan Papelbon came in for the 9th, got the 1st out, then allowed a single, single, a walk, and then a big game-tying RBI single from Robinson Cano as the crowd chanted “MVP.”
- Posada had a chance to redeem himself after Cano, but struck out.
- The Yankees won the game in the bottom of the 10th when Curtis Granderson singled, Brett Gardner reached on a bunt that Hideki Okajima threw into his back trying to throw him out, and an intentional walk to Derek Jeter that setup the walk-off walk by Miranda.
- Jeter’s hitting streak ends at 14.
- A-Rod had 4 homers in this 3 game series against the Red Sox. He has 29 total on the season.
- There was no pie involved in the walk-off as A.J. Burnett went ahead of the team to Toronto to prepare for the next series.
This is a big win for the Yankees. A lot of people accused the Yankees of panicking when they decided to use Hughes, but it was the right move. They likely only made the announcement that they would bump him assuming that he would have been able to win one of the first games against the Sox. When they dropped the first two things changed and they needed to go with Hughes. He came up big and the move paid off.
Also, D-Rob came up huge. Hughes left him two runners and no outs in the seventh, but Robertson got three outs without letting either of those runners score. His back looked just fine which is great for the Yankees beyond even this game.
Als0, A-Rod was big. In the beginning of his Yankee career a lot of people complained about him being not clutch. All of those people are afraid to admit to that now as he’s become one of the most clutch players in the history of the team. How many big home runs does he hit nowadays? In a big spot in the playoffs he’s the man you want up.