Here are some highlights:
- Phil Hughes pitched well, but wasn’t overpowering as he walked 5 batters. His line: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 6 K, 1 HR.
- Hughes tied Scott Sanderson for the Yankee record for home runs allowed at Yankee Stadium with 20.
- Nick Swisher opened the scoring with a 1st inning homer. He went 2-for-5 during the game.
- The Yankees had 5 doubles, thanks to Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, Jorge Posada, Lance Berkman, and Brett Gardner.
- Every Yankee starter had at least 1 hit except Mark Teixeira, who walked once.
- Joba Chamberlain pitched 1.2 impressive innings. In the 8th he inherited 2 runners, put one more on, and then got 2 outs to get out of a bases loaded jam without surrendering a run.
- Javier Vazquez pitched 1 inning and didn’t strike out a batter. It’s the first time he hasn’t struck out a batter in 350 appearances.
This was a big win for the Yankees. They are now 2.5 games ahead of the Rays for first place. That’s significant because with two games left in this series the Rays cannot overtake first place even if they win the rest of the games in the series. The Yankees also cannot lose this series.