Here are some notes via Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger from a conference call with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and manager Joe Girardi this afternoon.
- Girardi never really thought about leaving the Yankees.
- He thinks that CC Sabathia‘s knee may have caused some mechanical issues.
- Girardi said he may tinker with the lineup next year.
- He did not know about the decision to get rid of pitching coach Dave Eiland.
- Cashman talked about not being able to do anything until he meets with the Steinbrenners on Monday and Tuesday in Tampa.
- During the meeting they will also discuss what the payroll will be in 2011.
- Cashman doesn’t think the search for a pitching coach will go very quickly.
- He did note that Mike Harkey and Scott Aldred would be internal candidates for the job.
- They would like to resign hitting coach Kevin Long (obviously).
- Cashman seems open to revamping the pitching staff, but it sounds like he’s going to stand pat with the offense.
I’ll go more in depth on some of this later on. Just wanted to pass along this information.