Yankees general manager Brian Cashman met with reporters today and held a postseason press conference. Here are some highlights:
- It was Cashman’s decision, not Joe Girardi’s, to fire pitching coach Dave Eiland and that it had nothing to do with the playoffs.
- Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes were swapped in the ALCS rotation because of Pettitte’s injuries.
- Cashman will meet with Girardi’s agent tomorrow.
- Cashman is also looking for quick resolutions with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.
- It doesn’t sound like Joba Chamberlain will be in the rotation in 2011. Girardi said, ““We consider him a bullpen guy in the back end of the bullpen.”
- Jesus Montero will have to fight for a roster spot, but the Yankees will give him a chance.
- Girardi also talked about the difficulty of dealing with aging icons and said that the team looked old against Texas.
We already covered some of this throughout the day, but I wanted to put it all out there so nothing was missed. I think the most interesting revelations was the Pettitte injuries and the fact that it seems like the Yankees are counting on Montero to contribute next season.