Regarding the Manager Position

October 20th, 2010

Dear Mr. Cashman:

I am writing to express my interest in the position of Manager of the New York Yankees. It is my understanding that the person in that role currently will have his contract reevaluated at season’s end and I would like to submit my resume for consideration.

This role has always interested me, but after watching Game 4 of the 2010 ALCS in person, I am convinced that I have the tools to do the job.

If made manager, I promise that Yankee fans will never again have to feel the frustration of watching Nick Swisher bunt or the team’s best relievers rot away in the bullpen during key moments. Yankee fans also will never be subjected to watching Francisco Cervelli start an important game and they certainly would never see him come to the plate with men on base in an important game.

I know the current Yankee Manager enjoys looking for favorable matchups – even if that means making seemingly excessive pitching changes. However, I am not sure exactly what his algorithm is in deciding what makes a matchup favorable and when to make these changes, other than that he takes into account which hand a pitcher throws with. If made manager, evaluating this process will be foremost on my agenda and I promise to factor in things like situation leverage and a pitcher’s past performance.

I think my excellent memory will help me in this role. For example, I remember Game 3 of the 2010 ALCS, when Josh Hamilton hit a rocket off of Boone Logan. I also routinely remember that Joba Chamberlain is alive and that Sergio Mitre is bad at pitching. I think both will help me with bullpen management. I also remember that AJ Burnett gives up a lot of homeruns, which could mean future danger if he pitches with men on base – especially if those men on base were intentionally put there.

I would like you to note that generally I have been extremely supportive of the current Manager’s work; however I feel now might be a good time to reevaluate the position.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Brian Burkhart

————————————————

Brian Burkhart

www.BronxBaseballDaily.com

Experience:

Yankee Blogger (2006 – Present) Responsibilities include writing satirical blog posts about insane baseball decisions, defending Alex Rodriguez from undue criticism, pointing out wildly incompetent umpiring, explaining the flaws of bunting, and finding new and interesting ways to continue to mention Nick Johnson.

Advanced Yankee Fan (2002-2006) Responsibilities included understanding small sample sizes, engaging friends in Yankee conversation at inappropriate times, and pointing out when Joe Torre was asleep.

Yankee Fan (1996-2002) Cheered for the Yankees at all costs. While responsibilities for this role were limited, it did require excessive pride and a mastery of things like intangibles, mystique, and aura.

Beleaguered Yankee Fan (1982-1995) Responsibilities were limited to knowing who was on the team and watching at least 10 games a year. Also required to argue that Don Mattingly was the best player in baseball, despite any circumstantial evidence to the contrary.

Education:

www.fangraphs.com

www.baseball-reference.com

Hundreds of hours have been spent at both institutions, reading articles, researching statistics, and listening to podcasts. Currently hold a double major in Nick Johnson‘s OBP and Derek Jeter‘s ground-ball rate, with a minor in Brett Gardner‘s UZR.

Notable Achievements:

- Never booed Alex Rodriguez.

- On numerous occasions, explained the positional value of playing Jorge Posada at catcher.

- Said bringing Javier Vazquez into Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS was a bad idea before it happened.

- Successfully sat in the stands until the 9th inning of both the 2010 ALCS Game 3 and Game 4.

This entry was posted in Editorial, Humor. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Regarding the Manager Position

1. af says:

Beautiful.

2. If that last achievement is true, that's quite an accomplishment. Not many people stayed. It was sad to see.

3. seasoned observer says:

This team wins so many games due to the shear talent at their disposal. The managers gaffs go mostly overlooked during the season. But if you have scrutinized his past performances in close losses over the years you would not be surprised by his blunders in these most crucial of times. Oh you left out pinch hitting Posada, he of the lead feet, 10 times with runners on first and second or the bases loaded less then 2 outs behind by a run in the 7th inning or later. Then being surprised when he hits into DP time after time killing the come back. One of my favorite moments this season was a Yankee Met game. Yanks down a run in the bottom of the 8th. Cervelli leads off with a double. Hoffman up. Then the top of the order. Don't know about you but I use the kid to bunt the runner to third. Not our genius. Out of the dugout and up to the plate strides Granderson. (Pre K Long makeover). Gerry Manuel almost pulls a hammy getting out to the mound to call on the lefty warming in the pen. Three pitches later man on second one out. Nuff said.

4. NYYank55 says:

I'd like to be your bench coach when you are hired. If it's not obvious by now, Girardi will be gone if the Yanks don't get into the WS. And even then, they would have to win it all for his return. I, for one, have taken an oath that I will not watch a game next year as long as Girardi is at the helm. This is coming from a loyal fan of over 50 yrs. I have never witnessed such ineptitude in managing in game situations as I have in the 3 years Girardi has "led" the Yankees. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "they win in spite of Girardi". He is the real "clueless Joe". George must be turning in his grave after listening and watching both Girardi and Cashman concede the division and settle for the wild card. George would never have allowed that to happen. I hope both these losers are gone at the end of the season. All they did was let a team go stale in the last few weeks of the season and it has now carried over into the playoffs. As a devout Yankees fan, I hope that they are able to turn it around, but the damage was done long before the playoffs started. The ghosts of Yankees past can only do so much, it takes some sort of baseball knowledge to lead a team. Girardi just doesn't have what it takes. Period

• I would say two things to this. One, I don’t think Girardi conceded the division at all, but simply rested hurt players to get them healthy and refused to burn out the bullpen. I don’t think either has carried over into the playoffs.

Two, like it or not I would be shocked if Girardi wasn’t on the team in 2011. Shocked. I’m not saying that I agree with this or this is what I want, but I would be shocked if he isn’t back.

5. Bronx Knight says:

1. I second AF, this is a beautiful little post.

2. I hate to say this, because I think Girardi has been a good Yankee, but I would like to see a new manager. I think he is especially poor at handling his pitching staff.

3. Don Mattingly was clearly the best all-around baseball player for about five years, 1984 to 1989, until he hurt his back.

4. Please put a word in for me for a front-office job, maybe media manager. My resume is similar to yours, except that I started a little before you (Junior Yankee Fan, 1976-81, responsibilities included bragging that the Yankees were the best and cursing Mookie Wilson). But I never made it from Advanced Yankee Fan to Yankee Blogger …

5. To everyone at BBD: please keep up the great work!

6. Mike S. says:

Like it or not, Girardi's going nowhere. The only question will be how long the new deal will be and for how much.

7. Patrick says:

Reading about the Yankees, and watching Yankees games, does not qualify you to manage the Yankees.

1 year removed from a World Series title, and in the midst of the ALCS, and Yankees fans are calling for Girardi's head? How about having a sense of perspective?