Here are some notes:
- The Yankees have finally announced their ALCS rotation: CC Sabathia in game 1, Phil Hughes in game 2, Andy Pettitte in game 3, and A.J. Burnett in game 4.
- The ALCS roster will be the same as the ALDS roster.
- Burnett threw a simulated game yesterday and hit 2 batters, but called it a big step forward.
- Javier Vazquez and Chad Gaudin also pitched in yesterday’s simulated game, but luckily neither were added to the ALCS roster.
- That could have been the final time Vazquez threw a pitch in a Yankees uniform.
- Still no word on whether or not Francisco Cervelli will catch for Burnett or not.
At first I wanted Pettitte to start game two, but the more I think about it the more I am comfortable with him starting game three against Lee. Believe it or not, Lee isn’t invincible and if anybody is up for raising to the occasion it is probably Pettitte.
If the Yankees are down 3-0, you’d better believe that CC will come back and start on short rest in game four.
Good bye and good riddance to Vazquez. I defended him early and often at first, but this season really was a bust. It’s a shame they can’t even get a draft pick out of him, but it’s really not worth the risk to offer him arbitration.