Here are some notes:
- Joe Girardi said he has a lineup in mind for tomorrow, but is still mulling over the outfield. The obvious concerns is should Austin Kearns start against the tough lefty.
- Girardi said he took Ramiro Pena over Eduardo Nunez because of his experience playing multiple infield positions.
- Girardi also said that part of the reason they are carrying Greg Golson on the roster is because of the uncertainty of Nick Swisher‘s knee.
- Royce Ring, Nunez, Ivan Nova, and Jonathan Albaladejo are working out in Tampa just in case.
- Chad Gaudin, Chad Moeller, and Javier Vazquez will join the team in Minnesota.
- A.J. Burnett and Vazquez were both disappointed not to get a big roll in the playoffs, but understand why. They suck so badly that even they can’t standup for themselves.
That’s all the news catching us up on the roster decisions. I think it is straight forward. Guys like Nova, Ring, and Gaudin were almost expected to make the roster, but all were left off because they just pitched terribly.
Nunez could have made it over Pena, but in reality these guys are only really going to come in for defense late in games and Pena is the better defender and has more experience at different positions. That’s the bottom line. When you look at it that way there wasn’t much of a choice.