The Tampa Bay Rays lost last night which puts them in a tie with the Yankees. Both teams have three games left to play, but the Yankees need a better overall record as the Rays would come out ahead in the event of a tie because they have a better head-to-head record.
Here are some notes:
- Make no mistake, manager Joe Girardi still has his eyes on the AL Eastern division.
- The playoff rotation is not set beyond CC Sabathia. Andy Pettitte starts tonight and A.J. Burnett starts tomorrow which favors Pettitte getting a game two start, but Girardi has not committed to that.
- The Twins may end up being the Yankees 1st round opponent, but they will be without Justin Morneau until the ALCS.
- The Yankees acquired Kerry Wood over the Red Sox because they were willing to take on more of his contract than the Sox were.
- It’s raining a ton here in New York as I write this which may make its way up to Boston tonight and cause a rain out. In that event there is likely to be a double-header on Sunday.
A big loss for the Rays last night, but they are playing the Royals over their final three games. That gives them a pretty good chance to win the next three. That puts a lot of pressure on the Yankees, they must sweep the Red Sox in order to come out on the top of this division.