The Yankees lead the majors in come-from-behind wins this season so it is natural that they rely on them in the postseason as well. In the ALDS they came from behind twice to beat the Twins and last night they came back from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Rangers 6-5 while taking game one of the ALCS.
Here are some highlights:
- Thanks in part to a 3-run 1st inning homer by Josh Hamilton, the Rangers knocked CC Sabathia out of the game after just four innings.
- Down 5-0, Robinson Cano started the comeback in the 7th inning with a solo homer off of C.J. Wilson, the 1st homer he’s allowed to a lefty since 2008.
- Brett Gardner kick started the 8th inning by beating out an infield single.
- He was the 1st of 7 consecutive batters to reach base off of 4 pitchers.
- Derek Jeter doubled in 1, Nick Swisher and Mark Teixeira walked, Alex Rodriguez singled in 2, Cano singled in 1, Marcus Thames singled in 1.
- Joba Chamberlain pitched a scoreless 5th, but Dustin Moseley is probably the star reliever pitching 2 perfect innings.
- Kerry Wood and Mariano Rivera closed out the game.
That was a huge win. The Yankees needed to take the first game and they showed a lot winning despite Sabathia’s poor performance. That’s how you win pennants.