Jeter, Teixeira, and Cano Win Gold Gloves

Ever since 1999 when Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold Glove while playing 134 games as a DH it has been painfully obvious that the award was a joke.

11 years later and the award is still a joke.

Derek Jeter won his fifth Gold Glove Award joining teammates Mark Teixeira, who won his second, and Robinson Cano, who won his first, as this year’s winners.

Last season an argument could have been made that Jeter actually deserved the award with one of the better defensive seasons of his career. But in 2010 he took a pretty big step backward. Among AL shortstops only Yuniesky Betancourt and Jason Bartlett had worse UZR ratings. Alexei Ramirez had a UZR rating a full 15.5 points higher.

Cano and Teixeira were not ranked among the top of their class in UZR, but it wasn’t nearly as bad in Cano’s case compared to Jeter. Also, UZR ratings among first basemen are generally considered less reliable.

It’s is great to see Yankees win award, but it would be much better if this were more legitimate. Defensive statistics are still relatively a new thing, but hopefully days like today will help them become more accepted as people point out the absurdity of Jeter, an average fielder at best, winning his fifth Gold Glove.

Congrats to Cano and Teixeira though.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Jeter, Teixeira, and Cano Win Gold Gloves

1. Mike S. says:

I thought three Yanks could win the Gold Glove, but my three were Teixeira, Cano…. and Gardner.

2. [email protected] says:

On Jeter’s gold glove: "He had a career-high .989 fielding percentage and just six errors, the lowest total of his career and the fewest among all Major League shortstops who appeared in a minimum of 110 games."- Bryan Hoch

That's good enough for me, but I am prejudiced!

• Honestly, Jeter isn't terrible defensively. But I think he is far from the best in the league. His hands are terrific, possibly the best in the game, but his range is terrible.

3. Jessa says:

I have to disagree. For what Jeter lacked offensively I think he made up defensively. Also, Cano was great on both side this season. Tex is always solid. I agree with the three choices. Gardy…not so much.

4. Are you really saying that you like Jeter and dislike Gardner defensively? Really? I mean, really?

5. Jessa says:

That's exactly what I'm saying. The day A-Rod wins a GG is the day I start complaining.

6. A-Rod and Jeter are pretty close defensively. Both have decent arms, good hands, and terrible range. Gardner had the best UZR in all of baseball at any position in 2010.

7. Russ says:

Jeter is getting a raw deal on his defense. A lot of the criticism regarding his range came from him having to play closer to 3b to make up for A-Rod moving like an old man for most of the 2nd half of the season. That's going to hamper your movement towards the middle.

8. Delia says:

How Gardner didn't win a Golden Glove is beyond me. His defense in 2010 was incredible, highest UZR in the league, the least errors and 12 assists. Jeter on the other hand wasn't as deserving. Jeter had 6 errors in the year, but those 6 errors he had would have been playable by other Shortstops. My guesses to win the Golden Glove would have been Gardner, Teixeira and Cano. Cano and Teixeira deserved theirs, Gardner should have won and Jeter didn't deserve it based on what happened in 2010.

9. Good points Delia. I don't think deserved the award, but I would like to give Curtis Granderson honorable mention. His defense was amazing all season and I think that he may be able to snag at least one with the Yankees during his career.