No, Brian Cashman and I don’t pass notes to each other the way the girls in school used to. This is just a summary of the press conference he gave yesterday after the first day of the GM meetings in Florida. Obviously we owe Chad Jennings of the Journal News credit for most of the information you are about to enjoy.
- A minor player move is expected soon.
- Joba Chamberlain will be in the bullpen in 2011.
- Alfredo Aceves‘ back sounds like it’s 100 percent. No surgery was needed and he’s expected to play in winter ball.
- Cashman doesn’t expect Damaso Marte to pitch next year, but will not cut him from the roster.
- Cashman has no insider information as to whether or not Andy Pettitte will return or retire.
- Ivan Nova is considered a rotation candidate for next season.
- Juan Miranda‘s four-year contract is over. He’s not arbitration eligible, but he is out of options. That means if he doesn’t make the team out of spring training they risk losing him.
- Cashman listed Miranda, Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez, and Brandon Laird as bench options for next season.
I have a problem with the idea that Ivan Nova is an option for the rotation but not Joba Chamberlain. Also, call me skeptical, but I cannot envision a scenario where Nova is in the starting rotation without an injury or two.
Everything else is pretty straight forward. It’s good to hear Aceves is over his back issues, but part of me doesn’t want him to pitch in winter ball. Although I suppose there could be some benefit to it after he essentially sat out an entire season.