Yankees Rumors: Search for Pitching Coach Still Under Way

Via Anthony McCarron of the NY Daily News:

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper, who was apparently the Yankees’ top choice to succeed Dave Eiland and was believed to have wanted to return to his native New York, was denied permission by the White Sox to talk to the Yankees about the position. Ex-Yankee Gil Patterson, another Brian Cashman favorite, becomes the front-runner. Patterson has served as the minor league pitching coordinator for the A’s since 2007. It’s also expected the Yankees will talk to the Brewers’ Rick Peterson, who has been given permission to explore other opportunities, as well as Scott Eldred[sic], their Triple-A pitching coach. Joe Girardi would like to promote his bullpen coach Mike Harkey, but that doesn’t appear likely.

So this thing appears to be taking shape now. Up till this point we heard that Patterson was expected to be interviewed and Harkey was the frontrunner. Everything else was speculation.

Now it appears that Patterson, Peterson, and Aldred are the main candidates for the job. It’s unclear why Harkey is no longer in the running, but perhaps it’s because he’s manager Joe Girardi’s guy and despite the fact that Girardi does have say in this, perhaps it is Cashman making the final call.

Leo Mazzone has put it out there that he would be interested in the job, but he doesn’t appear to be a candidate at all. Some fans had interest in seeing Dave Righetti return to the Bronx in that role, but he still has a year left on his contract with the Giants.

I’ll let you know if I hear anything else. Until then, who is your favorite between Patterson, Peterson, and Eldred?

This entry was posted in Pitching Coach Rumors, Yankees Rumors and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Yankees Rumors: Search for Pitching Coach Still Under Way

1. Mike S. says:

I've advocated Aldred for a while.

2. smurfy says:

I am unsure of the skillsets required: I asked before the season about Eiland's relationship with the pitchers, but got no answer. I guess the coach needs to be able to motivate through persuasion, to console and get emotions aligned constructively. He needs to understand philosophies, tactics, physical mechanics and conditioning. He has to organize and observe, and deal with a variety of personalities, physiques and developmental levels.

Seems a tall order, and I just don't know who would be best. What's Greg Maddux doing? David Cone?

• I don't think Maddux has a job, but he's already turned down a pitching coach job this offseason (in Arizona). As for Cone, i just don't think the Yankees view him as a serious enough guy for a coaching job.

• smurfy says:

Yeah, the guy needs to be committed to do everything well. Coney sure was a great booth man – I miss him!

3. Robert G. Kramer says:

A couple of years ago someone made me believe Patterson was the smartest coach alive but I forget who.

• He definitely seems like he has what it takes if he gets the job.

• DirtyWater says:

Is that why the Red Sox hired his boss Curt Young?

• You're probably being sarcastic, but different teams hire different people for their own reasons. The Red Sox don't have a relationship with Patterson. That probably plays a part in it.

• DirtyWater says:

I'm not sure many fans will buy that one. Most will probably see that new Red Sox Young turned in the AL best ERA last season and the Yankees are hiring his underling. Girardi's boy looks to be on the outs, so the bullpen coach isn't up to it. Yankee brass going to dis Eldred by bringing in someone else from outside the system who served the same role he did? How long is it gonna take Patterson up to those two's knowledge of the organization's staff?

I just don't see how someone else's second fiddle could play a sweeter tune than the Yanks own.

• smurfy says:

This link was over at RAB. Quite an impressive story on Patterson.

4. Mike S. says: